|Title:||Old Rock House, Senoia, Georgia|
|Quantity:||0.1 Linear feet (1 portfolio)|
The first "settlement" in the area was called Location, two miles south of present day Senoia, where a post office had been established. In 1854, Willow Dell was established. Settlers continued to move to the area. The founding date for Senoia is 1860, for in that year the Rev. Francis Warren Baggarly bought land on which the modern town of Senoia now sits. On October 9, 1864, after many of the people of Willow Dell had moved closer to the two railroads that ran through the area, the community was renamed Senoia, and a post office was reestablished. The first building to be erected was known as the Rock House. Intended for mercantile purposes, it soon became a commissary for the Confederacy, as the war broke out soon after its completion. The first church,a Methodist Episcopal, with the Rev. Baggarly as minister, and the first Sunday school was also organized in the upstairs. A high school was opened in 1865, quite an accomplishment for a rural southern town at the end of the civil war. History of Senoia, Georgia website http://www.senoia.com (Retrieved June 15, 2009)
The collection consists of a photograph of the Old Rock House in Senoia, Georgia.
Old Rock House, Senoia, Georgia. MS 2427. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.