|Title:||Chapman family papers|
|Quantity:||0.4 Linear feet (1 document box)|
The small town of Ludowici, incorporated in 1905, remains the only incorporated municipality in rural Long County, located in east Georgia
Development progressed slowly in this agricultural region until the 1840s, when the Atlantic and Gulf Railroad, running from Savannah to the western sections of the state, cut through the area. Near the cotton plantation of Allen Johnston, the railroad established a stop referred to as "Four and a Half." A railroad station was built across the tracks from Johnston's home, and a small village known as Johnston Station developed around it. The Johnston Station area remained heavily agricultural into the twentieth century, with farms and timberlands owned primarily by the Johnston, Baggs, and Chapman families.
-- Ludowici. The New Georgia Encyclopedia. (http://www.newgeorgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-2279)
The collection consists of miscellaneous family materials including correspondence (1860-1926), legal records (1824-1870), financial records (1830-1900), indentures (1824-1926), and plats (1818-1892) of a Georgia family centered in Ludovici [sic] (Ludowici), Ga. The collection includes a one-page genealogy of the Chapman family.
Arranged by record type.
Chapman family papers. MS 2397. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.