Lucy Cobb Institute student letter to her father

Lucy Cobb Institute student letter to her father

Descriptive Summary

Repository: Hargrett Library
Creator: Unknown
Title: Lucy Cobb Institute student letter to her father
Dates: 1871 January 2
Quantity: 1.0 folder(s)
Coll. Number: ms2392

Biographical/Historical Note

The Lucy Cobb Institute was a boarding school for girls and young women in Athens, Georgia. It was founded in 1859 and named after a daughter of one of the school's founders, T.R.R. Cobb. Millie Rutherford was a long time teacher, administrator, and driving force behind the operation of the school. The school closed in 1931 and the University of Georgia purchased the building to use as a dormitory. In 1884 the offices of the Carl Vinson Institute of Government moved into the complex. The Seney-Stovall Chapel was built in 1882 and fully restored in 1997.

For more information, see the Lucy Cobb Institute page in the New Georgia Encyclopedia.


Scope and Content Note

The collection consists of one letter: dated Athens, Georgia, January 2, 1871, "Dear Father," signed "Regina," regarding classes and people Regina has met.


Index Terms

Correspondence.
Lucy Cobb Institute (Athens, Ga.). -- Students--Correspondence
Students--Correspondence.

Administrative Information

Preferred Citation note

Lucy Cobb Institute student letter to her father, ms2392, Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.


Series Descriptions and Folder Listing

 
BoxFolder
11Letter, 1871 January 2