|Title:||Indenture - Georgia|
|Quantity:||0.1 Linear feet (1 portfolio)|
Richmond County, in east central Georgia bordering the Savannah River and the South Carolina state line, was created in 1777 as one of Georgia's original counties. It replaced the former parish of St. Paul, established in 1758 under the colonial government. The county was named for Charles Lenox, duke of Richmond, who was sympathetic to the cause of the American Revolution (1775-83). First settled in the 1730s, Richmond County originally encompassed all of present-day Richmond, Columbia, and McDuffie counties, as well as parts of Warren, Glascock, and Jefferson counties. - New Georgia Encyclopedia. (http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-2386&hl=y) Retrieved 5/14/2009.
Columbia County lies along the Savannah River in east central Georgia, bordering South Carolina just northwest of Augusta. It was created by an act of the state legislature from a northern part of Richmond County on December 10, 1790. In the colonial era the territory that constitutes Columbia County was laid out as part of St. Paul Parish. Named for explorer Christopher Columbus, the county was created in response to a request by backcountry settlers that they be given court sessions that would be more convenient than those held in Augusta. - New Georgia Encyclopedia. (http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-1405&hl=y) Retrieved 5/14/2009.
The collection consists of an indenture dated December 28, 1833. The indenture concerns the sale of four slaves to James G. Stallings of Richmond County, Georgia, from Samuel Hicks of Columbia County, Georgia, for the sum of two hundred dollars.
Indenture - Georgia. MS 2369. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.