|Creator:||Hambidge Center for Creative Arts and Sciences (Rabun Gap, Ga.).|
|Title:||Jay Hambidge Art Foundation papers|
|Quantity:||0.1 Linear feet (1 folder)|
The Jay Hambidge Art Foundation, now called the Hambidge Center for the Creative Arts and Sciences, was created in 1934 by Mary Hambidge, who established the artist enclave and sustainable farm in memory of her artist husband, Jay Hambidge (1867–1924). After a brief career as a performer on vaudeville stages (Mary was a world-class whistler who appeared with her pet mockingbird Jimmy), she discovered weaving and eventually found her home among Appalachian weavers in the North Georgia mountains.
In the early days of Hambidge, she employed local women to create exceptional weavings that would one day be featured in many exhibits including the Smithsonian and the Museum of Modern Art. Later she broadened the scope of the Center by inviting artists for extended stays. After her death in 1973, the Center evolved into a formal and competitive residency program open to creative individuals from all walks of life.
The Hambidge Center is a member of the Alliance of Artist's Communities and the international organization Res Artis, and was recognized with the 1996 Cultural Olympiad Regional Designation Award in the Arts.
The collection consists of business letters, articles, and résumés concerning the Jay Hambidge Art Foundation.
Jay Hambidge Art Foundation papers, ms 2168, Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.
Related collections in other repositories include the Mary and Jay Hambidge Papers, MSS 962, Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center.