|Title:||Clarke County papers|
|Quantity:||0.2 Linear feet (1 microfilm reel)|
|Abstract:||The collection consists of surveyor's plats of land in Athens, Georgia; a plan of part of Cobbham; a conveyance from the vestry of Emmanuel Church, Athens, to Robert L. Bloomfield; and indentures between Moses Waddell and other individuals.|
"Clarke County, in northeast Georgia, is the state's twenty-sixth county. It was originally inhabited by members of the Cherokee and Creek Indian nations, but the first white settlers arrived very soon after the end of the American Revolution (1775-1783). Later, to entice new settlers to the area, the state offered 1,000 acres per family for a nominal sum... The boundaries of Clarke County, named in honor of Elijah Clarke, a general during the American Revolution and member of the state assembly, have changed several times over the years." -- "Clarke County." New Georgia Encyclopedia. http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge (Retrieved April 29, 2009)
"Waddel became a schoolmaster in Iredell Co., NC at the age of fourteen. In 1788, he relocated to Georgia where he ran a school near Greensboro. He attended Hampden Sidney College in 1790-91 and was ordained as a Presbyterian minister upon graduation. Several years of preaching and teaching (including John C. Calhoun) led to the establishment of Willington Academy in SC where he was headmaster when offered the Presidency of Franklin College. After leaving the university, he returned to Willington." -- "Moses Waddel." Hargrett Library. http://www.libs.uga.edu/hargrettpexhibit/presiden/ (Retrieved April 29, 2009)
Arranged in chronological order.
Clarke County papers, MS 2155. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.
Available only on microfilm.