|Title:||University of Georgia president's house|
|Quantity:||0.1 Linear feet|
"The University of Georgia President's House, also known as the Benjamin H. Hill House or the Grant-Hill-White-Bradshaw House, is located at 570 Prince Avenue... This two-story frame building displays a raised basement and a four-over-four room, central hall plan. Architecturally representative of the Greek Revival style, the house features a three-sided peristyle with fourteen columns supported by brick pillars; eight columns accent the facade and an additional three extend back along either side of the building... John Thomas Grant of Virginia constructed this house in 1856. Benjamin Harvey Hill, who served in both the House and Senate in Washington, acquired the house in 1876 and added the intricate fruit-and-floral friezes and marble mantels. Hill was credited with persuading President Hayes to withdraw Federal occupation troops in 1877, thus ending military rule in Georgia and the Reconstruction Era. James White, Founder of the First National Bank of Athens, purchased the property in July 1883. His daughter, Mrs. W. F. Bradshaw, inherited the house the same year, and the Bradley Foundation of Columbus, Georgia, acquired the property from her estate and in 1949 presented it to the University of Georgia as a home for its president. Subsequent to its acquisition, the University restored the house and grounds; Cooper, Bond, and Cooper were the architects in charge of remodeling, and Hubert B. Owens, A.S.L.A., designed the rear gardens. The front yard was refurbished in 1965." -- "University of Georgia President's House." http://www.cviog.uga.edu/Projects/athens/UGAPRES.htm (Retrieved December 11, 2009)
The collection consists of 17 photographs and negatives of the exterior and interior of the president's house during the 1920s when the grounds were being relandscaped.
Arranged in chronological order.
University of Georgia president's house, circa 1920s. MS 2088. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.
Related materials available in the following collections of this repository: Athens, Georgia, photographs, circa 1940.