Coulter, E. Merton, (Ellis Merton), 1890-
Georgia Historical Society.
|Title: ||Georgia Historical Quarterly records|
|Dates: ||Bulk, 1940-1981|
16.4 Linear feet
(45 document boxes, 4 card file boxes)
|Coll. Number: ||ms1789|
The Georgia Historical Society was formed in 1839, and it began publishing the Georgia Historical Quarterly in 1917, continuing to the present. The Quarterly focuses on Georgia history and reviews books about Georgia and the larger South. The Society's headquarters are in Savannah, Georgia, though, for a significant amount of time, the Quarterly was based in Athens at the University of Georgia. There were only a few editors of the Quarterly in the 20th century: William Harden (1916-1920); Percy Scott Flippin (1921-1922); C. Seymour Thompson (1923-1924); E. Merton Coulter (1924-1974); Phinizy Spalding (1974-1980); Aubrey C. Land (1981-1982); Thomas G. Dyer (1982-1989); and John C. Inscoe (1989-2000).
Scope and Content Note
The collection consists of records relating to the publication of the Georgia Historical Society's Georgia Historical Quarterly from 1926-1981. The collection consists mainly of correspondence to editors E. Merton Coulter and Phinizy Spalding and manuscripts of issues of the Quarterly from ca. 1962-1981. The collection also includes a card index to the Quarterly (n.d.) and information on former members of the Georgia Historical Society.
Arranged into three series by record type: Series 1. Correspondence; Series 2. Manuscripts; Series 3. General Information and Miscellaneous. Correspondence and Manuscripts are arranged chronologically within each series.
Cataloged as part of the Georgia Archives and Manuscripts Automated Access Project: A Special Collections Gateway Program of the University Center in Georgia.
Georgia Historical Quarterly records, MS 1789. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, University of Georgia Libraries.