|Title:||James B. Larwood papers|
|Quantity:||0.05 Linear feet (1 folder; housed with minor collections MS 1741 to MS 1747)|
James Barnes Larwood was an owner of an outstanding library of materials on Georgia and Georgia history. His collection of Georgiana was considered to be one of the three finest in existence. Selections from his library were exhibited at the Atlanta Public Library for 13 months in 1956-1957. A native of Fayetteville, Tenn., Mr. Larwood grew up in Atlanta. He attended Georgia Institute of Technology, Oglethorpe and Columbia University, receiving his bachelor's degree from Columbia in 1926. He did newspaper work in New York, St. Petersburg, Fla., and Atlanta, where he was on the staff of the old Atlanta Georgian. From 1928 until 1941 he operated a public relations counseling business in New York. In World War II he entered the U.S. Army as a first lieutenant and was editor-in-chief of chemical warfare services, Washington, D.C., and Edgewood's Aresenal, Md. He attended the Army's military government school and ended the war as a captain. After the war he remained in Germany, working to restore and rescue works of art which had been confiscated by the Nazis. He returned to Atlanta in 1950. James Larwood passed away at his home in Atlanta in October, 1958. Atlanta Journal (1958)
The collection consists of carbon typescripts of the entire series of catalogues issued with the series of exhibits at the Atlanta Public Library with manuscript annotations and related newspaper articles.
Arranged in chronological order.
James B. Larwood papers, MS 1744. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.