|Title:||Madison, Georgia cotton ledger and account book|
|Quantity:||0.2 Linear feet (1 half box)|
|Abstract:||The collection consists of a ledger (1889-1898) that appears to deal with the purchase and sale of cotton in the Madison, Georgia area, and an account book (1860-1869) for a dry goods store in Morgan County, possibly Madison. The account book contains many recognizable Morgan County names and was later used as a scrapbook for newspaper clippings.|
The first town lots in Madison were sold in 1809. As the cotton economy of the county expanded, so did the population of Madison. Many of the wealthy plantation owners who lived in the county began building town houses. In 1844 the first of three great fires struck the community. The county courthouse, begun in 1809 and finally completed 15 years later, burned to the ground. However, most of the county records were saved. In 1869 the entire business district burned after fire broke out in Albert Shaw's furniture store on South Main Street. Twenty-six businesses were destroyed. The heat was so intense that many of the salvaged goods placed in the middle of the street burned also. In this fire, the city hall and all the town records were destroyed. The community began rebuilding immediately; however, it took ten years before all the burned out lots had a building on them again. Then, in 1916, the old courthouse caught fire, and this time all the city's records were lost. Madison faired better during the depression than many of its neighbors. Many of the owners of the large antebellum houses were forced to convert their homes to apartments to make ends meet. The advent of Interstate 20 and the construction of Lake Oconee in the 1970's greatly accelerated Madison's growth. Although Madison is a thriving, growing community, its citizens aim to keep the past an integral part of the present and future. Madison, Georgia Chamber of Commerce http://www.madisonga.org (Retrieved March 23, 2009)
Madison, Georgia cotton ledger and account book, MS 1673. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.