|Creator:||Georgia. Superior Court (Newton County).|
|Title:||Newton County justice docket for civil cases in the 420th Georgia Militia District|
|Quantity:||0.4 Linear feet (1 volume housed with minor collections MS 156 - 158)|
|Abstract:||The collection consists of one volume, partly filled in with records of civil cases in the 420th Georgia Militia District of Newton County, Georgia, from 1921-1925.|
"Newton County lies approximately thirty miles east of Atlanta along Interstate 20. Its irregular star shape encompasses 276.4 miles. Named for Sergeant John Newton, a Revolutionary War (1775-83) hero, the county was formed on December 24, 1821, from parts of Henry, Jasper, and Walton counties. In 1821 the center of the area's activity was a settlement called Winton at the Brick Store, a general store and stagecoach stop. The Brick Store still stands, but U.S. Highway 278, which alternately parallels and crisscrosses the newer Interstate 20 eastward to Augusta, now lies over the stagecoach route" -- New Georgia Encyclopedia.
Newton County justice docket for civil cases in the 420th Georgia Militia District, MS 156. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.