|Title:||Bethesda, Chatham County Georgia Plat|
|Dates:||1809 April 4|
|Quantity:||0.1 Linear feet (1 oversize folder A)|
|Abstract:||The collection consists of one plat of Bethesda which was the property of the Orphan House of Georgia dated April 4, 1809. It was certified by Isidore Stouf, City and County Surveyor.|
Isidore Stouf was an engineer and City and County Surveyor for Bethesda, Chatham County, Georgia in the early 19th century.
"Bethesda, or "House of Mercy," was the name given to the orphanage founded near Savannah by the evangelist George Whitefield in 1740. Its significance rests partly with the close association it had with Whitefield but also on the pioneering role it played in the care of orphan children in Georgia." -- "Bethesda" from the New Georgia Encyclopedia, http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-1625 (Accessed March 17, 2009)
Bethesda, Chatham County Georgia Plat. MS 1552. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.