|Creator:||Herndon, Cloe E. A.|
|Title:||Cloe E.A. Herndon class notebooks and teaching certificates|
|Quantity:||0.05 Linear feet (3 folders; housed with minor collections MS 1545 to MS 1550)|
Randolph County was created by an act of the Alabama General Assembly on 18 Dec. 1832, from former Creek Indian territory. It is located in the eastern-central part of the state, in the Piedmont plateau. It encompasses 585 square miles. The county is named for John Randolph, a former Virginia statesman. The county seat was established in Wedowee in 1834-35. Other towns of note include Roanoke, Rock Mills and Wadley. Alabama Counties - Alabama Department of Archives and History http://www.archives.state.al.us/counties/randolph.html (Retrieved March 31, 2009)
The collection consists of class notebooks kept by Cloe E. A. Herndon, an elementary school teacher in Randolph County, Alabama, which contain class exercises as well as class rolls and cover parts of the period from 1859-1880. Also included are three of Miss Herndon's teaching certificates.
Cloe E.A. Herndon class notebooks and teaching certificates, MS 1545. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.