|Creator:||Confederate States of America. Constitutional Convention. (1861)|
|Title:||Confederate States of America constitution|
|Dates:||1861 March 11|
The original signed manuscript of the permanent constitution of the Confederate States of America, adopted on March 11, 1861. It consists of five vellum sheets pasted together and rolled, signed by Howell Cobb, President of the Congress and delegates from Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, and Texas.
Cataloged as part of the Georgia Archives and Manuscripts Automated Access Project: A Special Collections Gateway Program of the University Center in Georgia.
This manuscript was part of a wagon load of boxes rescued from the railroad station in Chester, South Carolina in April of 1865 by Felix G. DeFontaine, a newspaper correspondent during the war. The boxes, which had been abandoned by fleeing troops, contained the records of the Confederate government, which were being sent south after the evacuation of Richmond. The prizes among the records which DeFontaine recovered were the two Constitutions of the Confederacy, Provisional and Permanent.
DeFontaine sold the manuscript copy of the Provisional Constitution at auction in New York in 1883. It is now in the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond. He sold the manuscript copy of the Permanent Constitution to Mrs. George Wymberley Jones DeRenne on July 4, 1883. The University of Georgia purchased the Constitution from the DeRenne family in 1939.
Due to fragility and rarity this item is not available for general access.