|Creator:||Charlton, Walter Glasco, Mrs., 1851-1917|
|Creator:||De Renne, Wymberley Jones, 1853-1916|
|Creator:||Winn, D. Watson|
|Title:||A history of Christ Church, St. Simon's Island, Ga., manuscript|
|Quantity:||0.06 Linear feet (1 folder; housed with minor collections MS 1501 to MS 1506)|
The center of life during the island's plantation era was Christ Church, Frederica. Organized in 1807 by a group of island planters, the Episcopal church is the second oldest in the Diocese of Georgia. Embargoes imposed by the War of 1812 (1812-15) prevented the parishioners from building a church structure, so they worshiped in the home of John Beck, which stood on the site of Oglethorpe's only St. Simons residence, Orange Hall. The first Christ Church building, finished on the present site in 1820, was ruined by occupying Union troops during the Civil War. In 1884 the Reverend Anson Dodge Jr. rebuilt the church as a memorial to his first wife, Ellen. The cruciform building with a trussed gothic roof and stained-glass windows remains active today as Christ Church. St. Simon's Island - New Georgia Encyclopedia http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/ (Retrieved March 25, 2009)
The collection consists of a summary of the history of Christ Church, St. Simon's Island copied by Wymberly Jones DeRenne from a letter written by the Rev. D. Watson Winn to Mrs. Walter G. Charlton, April 22, 1904. Also included is a list of the rectors from 1735 to 1898.
A history of Christ Church, St. Simon's Island, Ga., manuscript, MS 1503. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.