|Title:||Mixon family papers|
|Quantity:||1.2 Linear feet (1 oversized box)|
|Abstract:||The collection consists mainly of land transactions of the Mixon family of Burke County, Georgia.|
Burke County, whose eastern edge shares the border with South Carolina along the Savannah River, is one of Georgia's eight original counties. When the colony was established in 1732, the area now known as Burke County was called the Halifax District. In 1758 Georgia was divided into parishes, and the Halifax District became the parish of St. George. The county currently encompasses an area of 831 square miles after portions of it were incorporated into Screven (1793), Jefferson (1796), Richmond (1841), and Jenkins (1905) counties. - New Georgia Encyclopedia http://georgiaencyclopedia.org (Retrieved March 10, 2009)
Mixon family papers. MS 1481. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.