|Title:||Mrs. Elizabeth Swift Tutt collection|
|Quantity:||0.08 Linear feet (3 folders housed with minor collections MS 1252 to MS 1259)|
Crawford Williamson Long, a north Georgia physician, is credited as the discoverer of anesthesia. Long was born on November 1, 1815, in Danielsville to a wealthy merchant and planter. At the age of fourteen, he exhausted the resources of the local academy and applied to the University of Georgia. Long received his A.M. degree from the university in 1835. In the fall of 1836 he began his medical education at Transylvania College in Lexington, Kentucky, where he studied under Benjamin Dudley, a renowned surgeon. There, Long had the opportunity to observe and participate in several surgeries, but these were harrowing experiences, as patients were not sedated and often experienced excruciating pain. At times doctors used alcohol, hypnotism, or other means to try to relax patients before surgery, but these remedies merely affected the patient's mental state and did little to relieve pain. After one year at Transylvania College, Long transferred to the University of Pennsylvania. He recieved his medical degree in 1839. After a hospital internship in New York City, Long returned to Georgia to take over a rural medical practice in Jefferson (in Jackson County) in 1841. As he established his medical practice, Long began to experiment with sulfuric ether as an anesthetic. He performed his first surgical procedure using the gas on March 30, 1842, when he removed a tumor from the neck of a young man. -- The New Georgia Encyclopedia. (http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-1227&hl=y) Retrieved 2/5/2009.
Donegal church was organized in 1719, or very early in 1720. Andrew Gailbraith, son of James Gailbraith, who came to America with William Penn from Queenstown upon his second visit, and whose remains are buried at Derry Graveyard, settled upon the land adjoining Donegal Church on the south, in 1718, for which he recieved a patent from the Penns in 1736 for two hundred and twelve acres. He was the first ruling elder of this church, and to him belongs the credit of organizing the congregation, and the selection of one of the most admirable and attractive sites for a church edifice within the broad limits of the state. -- Donegal Presbyterian Church Home Page. (http://www.donegalpc.org/Index2.htm) Retrieved 2/5/2009.
The Church-Waddel-Brumby House, also known as the Athens Welcome Center, is located at 280 East Dougherty Street. Alonzo Church, professor and subsequent president of the University of Georgia, initiated construction on the house after arriving in Athens in November 1819. Church never resided here, though, because he was persuaded to exchange houses with Dr. Moses Waddel, who occupied the house during his nine-year presidency of the University. In 1934 Mrs. Sarah H. Harris purchased the building, which her great-granddaughters, the Misses Mary Harris Brumby and Anne Wallis Brumby, eventually inherited. The Brumby sisters, the house's last private owners, occupied the house until their deaths in the mid-1960s. When the city's urban renewal plan threatened demolition of the house in that decade, concerned citizens formed the Athens-Clarke Heritage Foundation, Inc., and in 1967 saved the house by moving it to its new location on Dougherty Street. Before the move the complete dwelling was thoroughly documented in measured drawings on file with Heery & Heery, Architects. In 1971 the city and the Athens-Clarke Heritage Foundation restored the house with matching funds from the Urban Renewal Administration of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. This was the first use of such funds for historic preservation in the southeast. The building currently serves as a welcome center and house museum, a cooperative venture of the Georgia Department of Industry, Trade, and Tourism, the Athens Chamber of Commerce, and the Athens-Clarke Heritage Foundation, Inc. The Church-Waddel-Brumby House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (February 20, 1975) and locally designated as a Historic Landmark (February 2, 1988). -- Carl Vinson Institute of Government Website. (http://www.cviog.uga.edu/Projects/athens/CHURCHBR.htm) Retrieved 2/6/2009.
The collection consists of clippings and ephemeral items which have to do with Crawford W. Long, Donegal Presbyterian Church, and the Church-Brumby House restoration in Athens, all of which were areas of interest for Mrs. Tutt.
Arranged by subject.
Mrs. Elizabeth Swift Tutt collection, MS 1259. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.