|Creator:||United Confederate Veterans. -- Posters|
|Creator:||United Daughters of the Confederacy.|
|Title:||United Confederate Veterans/United Daughters of the Confederacy artifacts|
|Quantity:||1.25 Linear feet (1 portfolio, 1 box)|
The National Association of the Daughters of the Confederacy was organized in Nashville, Tenn., on September 10, 1894, by founders Mrs. Caroline Meriwether Goodlett of Nashville and Mrs. Anna Davenport Raines of Georgia. At its second meeting in Atlanta, Ga., in 1895, the Organization changed its name to the United Daughters of the Confederacy. The United Daughters of the Confederacy was incorporated under the laws of the District of Columbia on July 18, 1919. From "About the UDC." http://www.hqudc.org/ (Retrieved January 27, 2009)
The United Confederate Veterans, or UCV, was a veteran's organization for former Confederate Soldiers in the Civil War, and equivalent to the Grand Army of the Republic, or GAR, the Union veterans organization. In 1896, the Sons of Confederate Veterans were formed to be the successor to the UCV in preserving the memory of the Confederate soldier. From "Who were the United Confederate Veterans?" Springfield-Greene County Library. http://thelibrary.springfield.missouri.org/ (Retrieved January 27, 2009)
The collection consists of 1. a poem on cork and leaflet "Confederate Cross of Honor" ; 2. metal dress hate badge of United Confederate Veterans, Macon, Ga. ; 3. three reunion buttons (two with ribbons) for 1898 and 1909 conclaves and five associated ribbons ; 4. United Daughters of the Confederacy small oval framed painting of Confederate flags, 1900 ; 5. souvenir poster of the 44th annual reunion of the United Confederate Veterans ; 6. gavel made of native cedar given to the U.D.C. president general by the State of Arkansas ; 7. gavel made of wood from the home of Alexander H. Stephens and presented to the U.D.C by Robert R. Gunn with typed sheet stating these facts.
United Confederate Veterans/United Daughters of the Confederacy artifacts, ms 1062. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.