|Creator:||Charbonnier, Leon Henri|
|Title:||Louis Henri Charbonnier Collection|
|Quantity:||3.75 Linear feet (3 oversize boxes)|
In 1877, Leon Henri Charbonnier, A. M., who had been acting as Professor of Civil Engineering in the University since 1866, became Professor of Physics and retained the chair until his resignation in 1897. Colonel Charbonnier was a native Frenchman with a background of military training, being a graduate of St. Cyr in France. During Professor Charbonnier's tenure at the University he also conducted student military instruction, a passion the Frenchman acquired during his days at St. Cyr military academy. In 1874 he was architect for Moore College, the only building built on campus between the war and the 20th century; it is also the only college structure built entirely using financing from the city of Athens. Moore College served as the home to physics and astronomy until the current building was built in 1959. Today Moore College houses the Honors Program. UGA Physics and Astronomy Departmental History http://www.physast.uga.edu (Retrieved February 23, 2009)
This collection consists of two books of correspondence and readings from a thermometer, sun thermometer, barometer, anemometer, and anemoscope in Athens, Georgia from the years 1888 to 1894 taken by Louis Henri Charbonnier.
Arranged by record type.
Louis Henri Charbonnier collection, ms 1058. Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.
Related materials in this repository: University of Georgia Ephemera Collection, UA85-001