|Repository:||University of Georgia Archives|
|Creator:||Young, Florene M.|
|Title:||Florene Young papers|
|Quantity:||0.5 Linear feet|
Florene Young joined the UGA Psychology Department in 1932 when the Georgia State Teachers College, where she taught from 1926 through 1932, was consolidated with the University of Georgia. At the University, Dr. Young taught courses in abnormal, experimental, and developmental psychology and regularly had her classes visit the State Mental Hospital at Milledgeville.
Dr. Young became the director of the UGA Psychology Clinic in 1950 and through her work helped make the field of psychology acceptable in the South. She remained as the director of the clinic until her retirement in 1969 at the age of 67. In 1948 Dr Young, along with Dr. Austin S. Edwards and colleagues at other institutions, successfully implemented the requirement that applied clinical psychologists must have professional licenses. She served on that licensing board from 1953 through 1968.
Florene Young was named Woman of the Year for Athens/Clarke County in 1963. Upon her retirement in 1969, Dr. Young was named Professor Emerita of Psychology at UGA and continued to serve the local community through her private practice in downtown Athens.
The collection includes biographical material, photographs, and correspondence, with the majority of the material related to the period of time from 1932-1969 when Dr. Young was a member of the UGA Psychology Department's faculty. In addition to highlighting Dr. Young's accomplishments, it serves to document the history of the University of Georgia's Psychology Department. These materials were collected by former department head, Dr. Roger Thomas, for his studies into the history of the Psychology Department.
Florene Young papers, UA04-025, University Archives, Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.