|Repository:||University of Georgia Archives|
|Creator:||University of Georgia. College of Pharmacy.|
|Title:||College of Pharmacy records|
|Quantity:||40.5 Linear feet (19 boxes)|
The UGA School of Pharmacy was founded in 1903 but the first graduations didn't occur until 1908. The school was originally to be housed in Science Hall but in November of 1903 the building burned down. Terrell Hall was constructed on the site of the burned structure and the Pharmacy School moved into that building in June 1905. In 1907 Robert C. Wilson was appointed as an instructor and in 1924 he become the dean of the school. Through the years, Dean Wilson continually worked to improve the UGA pharmacy program and in 1926 it became one of the first four-year required pharmacy degrees in the nation. With the retirement of Wilson in 1948, Kenneth L. Waters became the Dean of the School of Pharmacy. Under his guidance the current Pharmacy Building was completed in 1964, the Master's program was created in 1951 and the first Ph.D. degree was granted in 1967. Dr. Howard C. Ansel was named dean in 1977 and during his administration the program's name was changed from the School of Pharmacy to the College of Pharmacy. This change was designed to more adequately reflect the program's expanded educational, research and service roles. On Dr. Wilson's 100th birthday, in 1978, the pharmacy building was renamed the Robert C. Wilson Pharmacy Building.
This collection primarily documents the administrations of three Deans: Wilson, Waters and Ansel. The papers include histories of the department, correspondence, photographs and clippings along with building plans for the Pharmacy Building.
The collection is arranged according to subjects.
College of Pharmacy records, UA04-016, University Archives, Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.