|Repository:||University of Georgia Archives|
|Creator:||University of Georgia. School of Aviation.|
|Title:||University of Georgia School of Aviation pin|
|Quantity:||0.25 Linear feet (1 box)|
In 1939 an aviation course was started in Athens for University of Georgia students. In September of 1940, the University of Georgia took complete charge of what had started as a branch of the Civilian Pilot Training Program. The University of Georgia School of Aviation was treated as a special non-profit corporation in the same manner as the Athletic Association. The school's goal was to promote aviation among both UGA student civilians and those students who were military bound. Male students taking the advanced training were qualified to entered the Army or Navy flying schools for commissioned officers. Although originally all male, women students were admitted into the primary course during spring of 1941.
The collection consists of a pin decorated with wings, a depiction of the Arch and the words "University of Georgia School of Aviation." The pin is probably from the early 1940s.
UGA School of Aviation pin, UA0113, University Archives, Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.
There is additional information in two issues of the Georgia Alumni Record (November 1940 pages 40-42 and January 1942, page 43). Issues of this magazine are shelved with the Georgia Reference materials located in the Russell Special Collections Library.