|Repository:||University of Georgia Archives|
|Title:||UGA Chapel artifact|
|Quantity:||0.25 Linear feet (1 box)|
The UGA Chapel was built in 1832 to replace a temporary wooden structure. It was constructed at a cost of fifteen thousand dollars and was considered the finest building on campus. In the early days of the University, a daily manditory religious service was held in the building along with assemblies and commencements.
During the 1952 renovation of the Chapel, Margaret E. LaBoon retrieved a piece of wood from one of the building's original 1832 window sills. She donated the piece of wood to the Hargrett Library on February 2, 1968.
The collection consists of a single piece of wood.
UGA Chapel artifact, UA0051, University Archives, Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.