|Repository:||University of Georgia Archives|
|Creator:||University of Georgia.|
|Title:||Denmark Dining Hall artifacts|
|Quantity:||0.75 Linear feet (1 box)|
Denmark Dining Hall opened in 1901 and served in this capacity until it was converted to an academic building in 1950. The dining hall was commonly called the "Beanery". An annex opened in 1936 and served about 92 students in cafeteria style while the dining hall continued to serve approximately 250 students. In addition to serving as a dining hall, the "Beanery" was the site of many banquets and dances during its early years. The dining hall was named for Brantley Astor Denmark of Savannah, class of 1871, who was chosen to lead the first alumni fund raising effort in 1897. This fund raising campaign was successful in raising $40,000 which was later used toward the construction of Memorial Hall. At his untimely death in 1901 at age 51, the UGA officials chose to name the new dining hall in his honor due to his outstanding leadership and loyal support of the University.
These artifacts were used to grace the dining tables in the early days of Denmark Dining Hall.
Denmark Dining Hall artifacts, UA0017, University Archives, Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.