|Repository:||University of Georgia Archives|
|Creator:||University of Georgia. University Theatre.|
|Title:||University Theatre scrapbooks|
|Quantity:||1.25 Linear feet (3 boxes)|
In 1893, UGA students formed the Thalian Dramatic Club, one of the oldest college dramatic clubs in the country. In 1926, a second dramatic club, the Blackfriars, was formed at UGA, and there was an immediate rivalry between the two groups. In 1931, the two clubs merged under the leadership of journalism professor Edward C. Crouse to become the Thalian-Blackfriars, the official theatrical club of the University of Georgia with its own playhouse in Seney-Stovall Memorial Theatre. By 1932, the new “University Theatre” was offering its first season ticket campaign. In 1939, the Department of Dramatic Art was created with Professor Crouse as its first Department Head; the following year the named changed to the Department of Drama. The productions were mounted in Seney-Stovall Chapel until 1941, when the Fine Arts Building was completed with its 1600 seat theatre and small Cellar Theatre.
The collection consists of four scrapbooks containing clippings and playbills related to the theatrical productions at the University of Georgia from 1949 to 1953.
Arranged in chronological order.
University Theatre scrapbooks, UA0013, University Archives, Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.