University of Georgia Archives
University of Georgia. Libraries.
|Title: ||University of Georgia Libraries newsletters collection|
2.0 Linear feet
|Coll. Number: ||UA0009|
In 1800, the Board of Trustees allowed for a library collection to be purchased for the sum of one thousand dollars. Unfortunately this collection was destroyed in a fire in 1830. A new collection received an official headquarters, in the Ivy Building, in 1831. By 1862, the Library had amassed 18,250 volumes and needed expanded facilities, so a new building was erected adjacent to the original one. Around the turn of the century George Foster Peabody donated money to construct a new library. This facility, the neoclassical building which presently houses the Georgia Museum of Art, was completed in 1905.
The Peabody building served to house the growing 30,000 volume collection on north campus until 1945. At this time the Library holdings numbered 205,000 volumes. Expansion room was required and the Costa Building in downtown Athens was designated as a temporary annex. Still another annex was added in 1947 in a prefabricated building on Jackson Street. In 1952 a much larger building with 146,900 square feet was constructed with a combination of state money and a bequest from Ilah Dunlap Little. The Ilah Dunlap Little Memorial Library currently houses the Main Library. In 1974, a 209,206 square foot annex was constructed on the back of the Main Library.
The Science Library was completed in 1968 to accommodate the growth in the life and physical science collections needed to support the developing research emphasis on south campus. In addition to the Science Library, science branch collections were established in Griffin, Tifton, Skidaway and Sapelo, Georgia. In addition, in 1974, small collections in the Georgia Center for Continuing Education and the College of Education were established. In 2003, the Zell B. Miller Learning Center opened as a combination of classroom and library space. Finally, in 2012, the Richard B. Russell Building was opened to house the three Special Collections libraries: Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Walter J. Brown Media Archives & the Peabody Awards Collection, and Richard B. Russell Library for Political Research and Studies.
Scope and Content Note
Newsletters generated by the University of Georgia Libraries from 1969 to 1999.
Organized into eight series:
The Little Grapevine, Interface, Ad Lib, Library Update, Tri-Committee Newsletter, GRUB, Connections, and Havoc in the Stacks.
University of Georgia Libraries newsletters collection, UA0009, University Archives, Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries.